BODHI Founder Tania Taylor does a three month detox every year in the lead up to Christmas. Here she shares with us what to expect when you detox, how to support yourself when detoxing, as well as the many benefits.
Why do you do an annual detox?
I have been doing an annual cleanse for the past 12 or so years. For me it’s an opportunity to heal my body on every level and reset my life by eating only nutrient dense whole foods and eliminate toxins.
Three months is a long time to detox, why so long?
I generally try to do between 8-12 weeks if possible, I find with a longer detox the benefits are greatly increased. It does seem like a long time, but to be honest, within a week or two of starting I feel so good that it encourages me to continue. You can start with a shorter detox and see great results too, and build to a longer detox over time.
There are 3 steps in my detox, so I like to spend 4 weeks on each. The 3 steps are:
- Step 1 – Remove waste from the digestive system by removing gastrointestinal organisms.
- Step 2 – Renew and rebuild the digestive system. Control growth of bad bacteria. Help absorption of nutrients. Support kidneys and lymphatics.
- Step 3 – Release toxins and support liver.
Good sleeping patterns, exercise and self-care are also very important elements. I’m always in bed early during my detox!
What does your detox involve?
The main aim is to get rid of toxins and chemicals from my system, so it’s about eliminating certain foods and using natural and organic skin care, toiletries and cleaning products as well as having detoxifying treatments – my skin care is all-natural anyway so that part is a walk in the park!
The foods I eliminate are shellfish, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, gluten, sugar and all processed foods
How do you keep yourself motivated to stick to the detox?
The way I feel and look during the detox helps to me to keep motivated.
How do you feel after a week, a month, and three months of a detox?
After the first week I normally feel a bit off as you are literally having withdrawals from sugar, caffeine and alcohol, so it’s not that much fun. But from there it gets easier.
By week four I start to see a big change in my skin – more clarity and radiance, I experience some weight loss and I generally start to feel fantastic and more energetic. By the end of the three months, I feel and look like a new person!
What supplements do you take to support your detox?
I have a range of supplements that I take to assist each of the three steps of the detox, these are prescribed by my naturopath.
What spa treatments do you have to support your detox?
I like to treat myself to a range of spa treatments during a detox. Infrared saunas are a must, as well as being super relaxing they detoxify the body of accumulated toxins and heavy metals. Regular Lymphatic Drainage Massages promote flow of lymph throughout the body to give my immune system a boost. I also have a couple of Contour Body Wraps, which is also very detoxifying and nurturing. For the face, I pair the Hydro Microdermabrasion Facial with LED Light Therapy to boost skin health and radiance, and I always love the BODHI Chakra Balancing treatment, it always leaves me with a profound sense of wellbeing.
How does your skin react to the detox?
My skin LOVES a good detox. I normally have others noticing a difference within the first few weeks. Skin is clearer, brighter, and even toned.
What skincare products do you use to support you through your detox?
What tips would you give to people wanting to do a detox?
- Seek advice and support from an expert such as a naturopath or nutritionist.
- Minimise temptation by cleaning out the pantry before you start off, to avoid any hard to resist foods.
- Be organised, always make sure you have loads of fresh fruit and vegetables as well as plenty of detox friendly foods in the house.
- If you have social events, drink mineral water with garnish in a wine glass so you don’t feel like you are missing out
- Make time for SELF CARE. Regular massages, infrared saunas or body treatments not only assist with toxin elimination but are also a fabulous reward for committing to the cleanse.